One of the most rewarding things you can do is obtain a degree in divinity and embark on a path that helps God’s children find their way. Not only can you help others, but you can also help yourself by learning more about the scriptures, and about the ways of the Lord. Divinity and theology are deeply personal, but these are subjects that also have profound impacts on many lives.
If you are interested in learning more about the scriptures, whether you are interested in attending a divinity program, or whether you just want enhanced knowledge, you can find information online. There are a number of blogs written by scholars who can help you better understand God’s word — and your future path. Here are 50 great blogs by divinity and theology professors:
Religious History and Studies
- XKV8R: Learn more about religious history and theology through archeology.
- Grateful to the Dead: Concerns itself with Christian history and religion.
- The Blogging Parson: Teaches at Moore College in Australia.
- Mark F. Johnson: With a focus on St. Thomas of Aquinas, this professor offers plenty of religious insight.
- Christian Living: This theology professor offers insight on Christianity.com.
- Leithart.com: This theology fellow offers plenty of religious insight on history and the development of Christianity.
- Codex: Studies scriptural writings, and takes a scholarly look at different versions of Christian history.
- Scholaristas: These LDS women offer insights into religion and history, and includes teachers among them.
- Religion in American History: An interesting look at religion in the U.S., from an often contrary point of view.
Religious Philosophy and Theology
The philosophy related to spiritual matters is interesting. You might be surprised at the different philosophies that abound in the world of theology. Read up on theology and philosophy when you peruse the following blogs.
- Fors Clavigera: This Christian philosopher is a professor, as well, and studies Christianity.
- Brandon Withrow: This theological studies professor is also a blogger at the Huffington Post.
- Helm’s Deep: This professor looks at religious philosophy and delves into interesting topics.
- Thoughts on Theology: This professor muses on theology from a conservative perspective.
- Thinking Out Loud: This professor of theology offers insights into religion and philosophy, as well as appropriate leadership.
- For His Renown: Thoughts on theology and religious philosophy from a Baptist perspective.
- The Sacred Page: Catholic theology professors write this blog about thought and philosophy.
- Prof. John Stackhouse’s Weblog: Christian philosophy and conversation.
- Transverse Markings: One Theologian’s Notes: A look at what is happening in theology, and what is happening in the wider culture.
- Shored Fragments: Thoughts on theology from a professor at St. Mary’s College in Scotland.
- Albert Mohler: Read more about philosophy and theology of Christianity.
- Theommentary: Commentary on theology from a professor at Briercrest College.
- Faith and Theology: A look at theology from this knowledgeable professor who explores the differences between the study of religion and faith.
- Reimagining the Future of Faith: Philosophical look at what could be next for faith and for religion.
- The Politics of the Cross Resurrected: A political blog looking at theology, ethics and faith philosophy.
Old Testament Studies
Some divinity professors devote their entire careers to the study of the Old Testament — and for good reason. The historical, literary and religious significance of the Old Testament is far reaching. Find out more about the Old Testament from these insightful scholars.
- Dr. Claude Mariotti – Professor of the Old Testament: Learn more about the Old Testament and get solid insights.
- Old Testament Studies: Takes a look at the Old Testament, and offers great insights.
- Dan the Doc: A look at the Old Testament from this professor of theology.
- Scatterings: The professor of the Old Testament in Canada.
- Old Testament Passions: This professor shares information about the Old Testament and ancient Hebrew culture.
- Head Heart Hands: Learn about the Old Testament from this professor who specializes in practical theology — teaching you to live what you learn.
- Serving the Word: Focus on the Hebrew Bible, linguistic anthropology and religion.
- PaleoJudaica: A look at matters relating to ancient Judaism, during the time of the Old Testament.
- Higgaion: This blog on the Old Testament has a specific focus on the Exodus.
- TaborBlog: Hebrew Bible, as well as information on early Christianity and other subjects from a Religious Studies chair.
New Testament Studies and Early Christianity
Learn more about the New Testament. The history of the New Testament is interesting and varied. By studying the New Testament and early Christianity, it is possible to learn more about our own religious roots today. Find out more about the New Testament and the beginnings of the various Christian faiths with these blogs.
- Canadian Biblical Studies Blog: This blog is written by a New Testament lecturer in Canada.
- AKMA’s Random Thoughts: A look at the New Testament from a knowledgeable professor.
- NT Blog: A blog about the New Testament, including some helpful resources.
- An alien and a stranger: Considers the New Testament and such subjects as the historical Jesus.
- The Forbidden Gospels: An interesting look at early Christianity, and the scriptures that didn’t make it into the canon.
- Biblical Theology: Insights from this professor of New Testament Studies.
- NT Resources Blog: A professor offers helpful resources and insights that can help your study of the New Testament.
- Darrel L. Bock’s blog: Bible.org hosts the blog of this New Testament scholar.
- Exploring Our Matrix: Takes a look at the language of the New Testament.
Seminary Faculty Blogs
- Calvary Baptist Seminary Faculty: Learn more about the scriptures, living a Christian life, and the ministry.
- The Good Book Blog: The Talbot School of Theology offers this blog written by theology professors.
- Briercrest College Seminary Professor’s Blog: A great look at theology — and how to be a better seminary student.
- Seminary: Written by those involved with the seminary at Multinomah University.
- Between the Times: Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary sponsors this blog written by knowledgeable teachers and professors.
- Renewal Dynamics: This is the official blog of Regent University’s School of Divinity.
- The Mormon Organon: This is a little different: A blog about Mormonism from a BYU professor teaching biology.
Did you just love this post?